Special Event Permits

Pitkin County requires a Special Event Permit for all events held within the County which includes any organized activity involving the use of, or having impact upon, public property, public facilities, parks, sidewalks, roads or the temporary use of private property in a manner that varies from its current land use. 

Access Pitkin County Special Event Permit Application

Events that wish to make use of Pitkin County Open Space and Trails require a separate permit. Access the Open Space and Trails application.

Additionally, the City of Aspen, and the Town of Snowmass Village, independently issue Special Event Permits if the event falls within each respective jurisdiction.

Permit Application Process

Applicants are required to create an account and sign in to the Special Event Permit Application in order to save, view and edit applications. It is recommended that applicants read through the Special Event Permit Guide to answer any questions they may have regarding their event, and determine what necessary materials are to be submitted with their application. 

After uploading the necessary documents and information to the application, it will be reviewed, additional information will be collected and then sent out for referral to applicable agencies. You will be notified if your event qualifies for a permit and/or whether it requires additional permits, information, and/or a meeting with the Special Event Committee. The Special Event Committee is made up of County agencies involved in the permitting process or whose resources may be impacted by the event.

Permit fees vary and will be assessed according to the scope and scale of the event. The average event permit fee is typically billed for two hours at $325 per hour. Applicants will be sent an invoice and payment must be received before the permit is issued. 

It is our goal to assist event organizers in planning safe and fun events that have no negative impact on the community and public resources.

Liability Insurance 

Liability insurance coverage must be provided for Special Events. If your event includes alcohol, liquor liability coverage must also be included. Commercial general liability insurance is required in the following minimum amounts: $1,000,000 each occurrence; $2,000,000 aggregate.

At least one week prior to the event, a certificate of insurance must be submitted to the County. The certificate shall name Pitkin County as an additional insured, coverage must be maintained for the duration of the event including set up and dismantle dates. Please include the following on the Certificate of Insurance: Pitkin County 530 E. Main Street Aspen, CO 81611

Special Event Liquor Permits

If you are planning a public event that includes either serving of alcohol or selling of alcohol, it requires issuance of a Special Event Liquor Permit which is approved and issued by the Pitkin County Board of County Commissioners. Submit a completed Colorado Department of Revenue Form DR 8439 and supporting documents to the County Clerk jeanette.jones@pitkincounty.com. Visit the Board of County Commissioners page for more details about the application process.

Food Permits

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment issues approval to special events vendors in Pitkin County.  All vendors must fill out an application and submit it to CDPHE at least two weeks prior to the event. Visit Environmental Health Department for more information.

Party Tent Permits

Any temporary structure, other than a tent or membrane structure, that covers an area in excess of 120 square feet that is used or intended to be used for the gathering together of 10 or more persons requires a Building Permit. There is a $150 fee for Tent Permits. Click here for Building Permit information.

Additional Information

Contact Us

  1. Planner of the Day

    Community Development Office
    530 E. Main St, Suite 205
    Aspen, CO 81611