Food Assistance

Food Stamp Program

Available for low-income families and individuals as a monthly benefit to help with food expenses. Able-bodied adults are required to work or look for work. Only US citizens and legal resident aliens are eligible for the Food Stamp Program.

This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex and in some cases religion or political beliefs.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027), found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:
For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by State); found online at: SNAP Hotline.

To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

How Do I Apply For Food Assistance?

First, fill out an application using one of 3 methods:
  1. Apply online using the Colorado PEAK website. This is the quickest way to apply. You can also screen yourself to see if you're eligible for different programs like Medicaid.
  2. Print out an application in English or Spanish. You can mail the application to: 

      Pitkin County Economic Assistance                                                                           
    0405 Castle Creek Road, Suite 102                                                                              Aspen, CO 81611

  3.  Pick up an application at our office, fill it out, and drop it off or hand it to our Economic Assistance staff for processing.
The Food Assistance Program requires an interview. On your application, you can
select an in-person or phone interview in the personal information section on the first
page. After turning in your application, you will be contacted by a public assistance specialist to schedule an interview.

Mobile Food Pantries

Food Bank of the Rockies generously delivers donated food to 5 locations on Colorado's Western Slope. You may visit the Colorado Mountain College Campus near the Aspen Airport Business Center on the second Thursday of each month to receive a variety of fresh and frozen staples. 

FREE monthly box of food for qualifying seniors

The Commodities Supplemental Food Program is for seniors 60 & over. To see if you qualify please bring 1) Picture identification  2) Proof of Income (no bank statements)  and 3) Proof of recent address such as a utility bill mailed within the last 30 days to the Aspen Lift-Up Location at 456 North Mill Street, Unit 12, in Aspen and fill out a brief application. Supplemental boxes are distributed at the Aspen Lift-Up location.


The LIFT-UP pantry in Aspen provides individuals and families with assistance once a month per family. Please go to LIFT-UP's website to get a list of all their locations and hours of operation.

Hunger Free Hotline

The Hunger Free Hotline is a multilingual toll-free number that connects Coloradans to needed food. It is a free “1-stop” resource that offers geographically-based referrals to both public and private food assistance programs throughout the state.

Their food assistance navigators provide helpful and thorough referrals based on each caller’s need. They not only answer questions but also ensure that callers receive needed information—from directions to applying for public health nutrition programs.

Call the hotline toll-free at 855-855-4626. It is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Connect to Hunger Free Colorado.