Special Events Liquor Permits

A Special Event Permit authorizes the sale of alcohol beverages, by the drink, to the public at locations where such sale or consumption is not normally permitted.

Permit Types

There are 2 types of Special Events Permits:
  • Malt, vinous and spirituous liquor
  • 3.2% Beer

Organization Requirements

In order to qualify for a special events permit, an organization must be nonprofit and 1 of the following:
  • Athletic
  • Chartered branch, lodge or chapter of a national organization or society
  • Municipality which owns an arts facility
  • Patriotic
  • Philanthropic institution
  • Political candidate
  • Political
  • Religious institution
  • Social

Application Steps

Steps in applying for a special events liquor permit:
  1. Complete the Special Events Permit Application (DR8439)
  2. Contact County Community Development for a Temporary Use Permit Application.
  3. Contact County Environmental Health regarding a food service license (there is a requirement to serve sandwiches or other food snacks).
  4. The complete application including supporting documents and 1 copy of the complete application must be submitted to the Clerk to the Board (office located in the Pitkin County Administration Office or via e-mail to jeanette.jones@pitkincounty.com) at least 30 days prior to the event.
  5. The Clerk will schedule a hearing and notify you of the hearing date. At least 10 days prior to the hearing, the premises to be licensed must be posted with a notice of the public hearing with the Board of County Commissioners. The sign is supplied by the Clerk.
  6. Appear before the Board of County Commissioners at a public hearing at which time the application will be considered.
  7. If the application is approved by the county. the clerk will issue a license the day following the public hearing.

Items to Submit

The following items must be submitted with the application:
  • The application requires the state sales tax number. Note: this is not the tax exempt number that begins with 98-xxxxxx.
  • Diagram of the area to be licensed (not larger than 8 ½ " x 11" reflecting bars, walls, partitions, ingress, egress and dimensions). If the event is to be held outside, please submit evidence of intended control, i.e., fencing, ropes, barriers, etc. The area of intended use is to be contiguous and outlined in red.
  • Copy of deed, lease, or written permission of owner for use of the premises
  • The corporation's Certificate of Good Standing (nonprofit) issued by the Colorado Secretary of State within the last 2 years or, if not incorporated, a nonprofit charter; or, if a political candidate, copies of reports and statements that were filed with the Secretary of State
  • Notarized affidavit stating that notice was posted 10 days prior to hearing
  • An Affidavit of Acknowledgement of Contact with the County Community Development Department regarding a Temporary Use Permit
  • An Affidavit of Acknowledgement of Contact with the County Environmental Health Department regarding a Food Service License
  • An email from the Sheriff's Department that they have no objections to the event. The Clerk will be responsible for this
  • Fees