Collected taxes are apportioned and distributed by the Treasurer to the various taxing authorities listed on your tax notice.
- Any tax less than $25 must be paid in full. C.R.S. 39-10-104.5(6)
- For accurate credit of your payment, please include the proper coupon or reference the account number on your check.
If your taxes are paid into an escrow account as part of your monthly mortgage payment, it is your responsibility to forward the tax notice to your mortgage lender and to verify that your taxes have been paid. Please keep a copy for your records, as we do not bill the mortgage companies directly.
The Treasurer is not responsible for erroneous payments. If in doubt, please check with your mortgage lender to determine who is responsible for the tax payment.
- Make checks payable to: Pitkin County Treasurer for the exact amount. Checks must be drawn on a U.S. Bank in U.S. Funds.
- To pay by credit/debit card or eCheck use Pay My Taxes or call 1-877-690-3729. (Use Jurisdiction Code 1607)
- Cash is also accepted in the office of the Treasurer.
- ACH's are not accepted.
- Wires are accepted on a case by case basis. Please contact the Treasurer’s Office if you wish to send a wire. Failure to do so could result in the wire being returned.
Past Due Taxes
If you owe past year taxes, all redemption funds must be tendered in the form of a Cashier's Check or Cash.
C.R.S. 13-21-109 allows the Treasurer to collect an amount equal to the face amount of any returned check or draft. It is the policy of the Pitkin County Treasurer's office to collect a $20 returned check fee for each returned check.
Payment Due Dates
If the due date for your property tax payment falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, it shall be deemed to have been timely paid if filed on the next business day, C.R.S. 39-10-105.5(8).
- February - If paying property taxes in 2 equal installments, the 1st half of taxes must be postmarked no later than the last day in February.
- April - If paying property taxes in a single payment (not paid in installments) the full/whole amount must be postmarked no later than April 30th.
- June - If paying property taxes in 2 equal installments, the 2nd half of taxes must be postmarked no later than June 15th.