Properties & Trails
SKY MOUNTAIN PARK HUNTING LOTTERY: Five hunters and three alternates will be selected for a fourth-season, cow elk hunt at Sky Mountain Park. The deadline to submit an application for the lottery is March 10. The drawing will take place March 11.
PAY TICKETS ONLINE: We accept Visa, MasterCard, Amex and Discover Card payments online. [ The processing fee is: Transaction Amount +((Transaction Amount +$0.75)x 2.25%) + $0.75 ]. Find TICKET PAYMENT INFORMATION HERE. Pay your citation online here Version OptionsProperties & TrailsHeadline. BE SURE to choose Penalty Assessment in the drop-down menu.
DRONE USE: Drone use is prohibited on all Pitkin County Open Space and Trails properties and trails.
COMMERCIAL USE: All commercial use on Pitkin County open spaces and trails (including photography/video) requires a permit from Open Space and Trails. NO COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY IS ALLOWED AT NORTH STAR NATURE PRESERVE. Find out more.
OPEN SPACE REGULATIONS: Here's a summary of trail regulations and closures. Pitkin County Open Space and Trails properties are governed by Title 12 of the Pitkin County Code, which establishes general rules that apply to all of the open spaces and trails within the program. (Descargar Reglamento de Parques en Español.) In addition to Title 12, use of some open space properties is governed by an adopted management plan that is specific to a particular property.
DOG REGULATIONS: Leashes are required on all Pitkin County open spaces and trails except where dogs are prohibited or off-leash rules are in place. Off-leash dogs are limited to two per person on Smuggler Mountain Road. Dog walkers are limited to 3 dogs per individual and leashes must not exceed 6 feet in length. Dog walkers must carry waste bags, pick up dog waste immediately and dispose of it properly. Find property-specific information about dogs, as well as trail regulations and seasonal closures.
NORDIC GROOMING REPORT / FAT BIKES
The Aspen-Snowmass Nordic Grooming Report is here, or call the Nordic Hotline at 970-429-2039 to hear the morning report (extension 4). Fat bikes are not permitted on trails groomed for cross-country skiing with the exception of the Rio Grande Trail and Marolt Open Space. Scroll down to Other Helpful Links and Documents to find a map of the Aspen Fat Bike Loop. Walking is not permitted on groomed Nordic trails except on the Rio Grande Trail, Marolt Open Space loop and the dog loops at the Aspen Golf Club and Snowmass golf course.
SENIOR CITIZEN PASSES - HUNTER CREEK: The parking pass for senior citizens who wish to use the Hunter Creek parking lot is available from Pitkin County Senior Services, 0275 Castle Creek Road. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Seniors must be at least 65 years old and present a driver’s license to obtain a pass.
The following properties are governed by adopted management plans. A summary provides key regulations associated with each property. See the links below for more information about these properties.
- Carbondale to Crested Butte Trail Plan
- Deer Creek Open Space
- Emma Open Space
- Filoha Meadows
- Glassier Open Space
- Gold Butte
- Grace - Shehi Meadows
- Jaffee Park
- Lazy Glen Open Space
- Moore Open Space
- North Star Nature Preserve
- Penny Hot Springs
- Prince Creek Open Space
- Rio Grande Trail
- Red Wind Point
- Redstone Parks & Open Space
- Roaring Fork Gorge
- Sky Mountain Park
- Smuggler Mountain Open Space
- Thompson Creek Open Space
- Wheatley Open Space
- 2023 Annual Agriculture Program Report (summary of agricultural leasing program and productivity)
- Aspen-Snowmass Nordic System (grooming reports and trail maps)
- Rio Grande Trail Map (a map of the trail between Aspen and Glenwood Springs)
- Pitkin County Nordic Trails Plan (a plan detailing the existing system and opportunities for expansion)
- Policy: Protection of Natural Biodiversity and Management of Human Use (a policy to guide the acquisition and management of Open Space and Trails properties)
- Pitkin County Open Space Property Inventory (a listing of fee-owned properties and conservation easements)
- Agricultural Policy and Process (Criteria and process for leasing Pitkin County agricultural land)
- Aspen Fat Bike Trails (a map of winter trails open to fat bikes)
- Other Power-Driven Mobility Device Management Plan (policies on use of OPDMDs on open spaces and trails) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>