Who do I call if I saw someone dumping something down a storm sewer?
Water captured by storm sewer systems is not treated before it enters the river. Therefore, it is important to report anything unusual relating to water entering or leaving these structures. The most commonly recognized storm sewers, existing on city streets and major roadways, have metal grates over them. The majority of this type of storm sewer exists in the City of Aspen. Within the City of Aspen, please call Aspen Environmental Health (970-920-5039) to report any problematic activity.

There are other stormwater drains county-wide that need to be kept free of household, commercial and industrial wastes. These include roadside ditches, stormwater catchment ponds and other ditches and culverts. If you see anything unusual in any of these alternative storm drains, please contact Pitkin County Environmental Health and Natural Resources as soon as possible (970-920-5070).

Show All Answers

1. What is a watershed?
2. Why is the Roaring Fork River dry?
3. Who do I call if I think someone is illegally diverting water?
4. Can I truck water to my site if I don't have a well?
5. Where can I obtain information about my well?
6. How do I apply for a well permit?
7. Is well water safe?
8. Who can test my well or spring water?
9. What if I want to harvest rainwater for household use?
10. Are magnesium chloride and sand affecting our water quality?
11. There is a ditch on my property. Can I use the water in it?
12. Can I use the water coming from a below-ground spring on my property?
13. How can I get water rights?
14. Why is the river foaming, red or brown?
15. Who do I call if I saw someone dumping something down a storm sewer?
16. I saw someone running equipment in a stream or digging in a stream bank. Is that OK?
17. Can I move the ditch on my property?
18. Whom do I call about a broken or overflowing ditch?
19. How do I find out who owns the ditch on my property?