Contractor Licensing

***ATTENTION*** Contractor Licensing for Pitkin County is handled by the City of Aspen. You MUST contact their office for licensing. Once your license has been updated or approved by the City, the City of Aspen will notify Pitkin ComDev staff and we will update our records. This will link your Aspen/Pitkin County Contractor License with PATS.

Pitkin County will no longer be administrating the Best Tests.  Please contact City of Aspen at (970) 920-5090 or go to to set up a test.

Contemporaneous Review of Plumbing Licenses

Contact the State of Colorado for more Information

Going Forward - Contemporaneous Review of Plumbing Licenses for Pitkin County

Pursuant to Colorado Revised Statutes 12-58-114.5, Pitkin County Building Division has established the following procedures for conducting contemporaneous reviews of plumbing licenses.  These procedures apply to the inspection of all plumbing work required to be installed by State Licensed Plumbers.   Inspections of plumbing work will only be conducted when a State Licensed plumbing contractor is provided on an approved plumbing permit. Pitkin County will verify the State Plumbing license by accessing the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) website.   County plumbing inspectors will request, at their discretion, any of the following:

  • Verification of plumbing licenses for the plumbers working on the job site for compliance with CRS 12-58-105.
  • Verification of apprentices working on the job site for compliance with CRS-12-58-117.
  • That the plumbing contractor is the same as that listed on the issued permit.
  • If the inspector is unable to verify the identity or verification of any of the items listed above, the inspector may issue a ‘stop work’ order or fail the requested inspection, at their discretion, until verification can be provided.
  • Based upon scope and extent of violations, Pitkin County Building Department staff may further issue a written warning to non-compliant plumbing installers, and at the County’s discretion, proceed with submitting a formal complaint of violations to the State Plumbing Board (SPB).   Documentation of issued warnings and complaints submitted to the (SPB) shall be retained in the Chief Building Official’s office.