Titling & Registering a Vehicle from Out-of State
All out-of-state surrendered documents require a VIN inspection report from Colorado law enforcement.
To register and/or title a vehicle from another state, the following documents are required:
- Out-of-State Registration - If you surrender only an out-of-state registration, you will be issued a Colorado registration only. You will not be issued a Colorado title.
- Current registration is acceptable
- Expired registration is acceptable, if it is less than 6 months expired
- A copy of the title is acceptable, if no transfer of ownership occurring
- Some states issue a document that is the title and registration combined. This document is acceptable if it is submitted to our office before the expiration date
- Your out-of-state title is still valid for transfer of ownership. If the out-of-state title becomes lost or destroyed, you will need to contact the state in which it was issued in order to replace the title
Out-of-State Title - You will be issued a Colorado title and registration if you surrender your out-of-state title. To receive a Colorado title, an out-of-state title must be surrendered.
- We strongly recommend surrendering your out-of-state title when you register your car, if possible
- Upon the surrender of your out-of-state, a Colorado title will be mailed to you in approximately 8 weeks
- Vehicle Identification Number Inspection (VIN) REQUIRED ON ALL OUT OF STATE TRANSACTIONS!
- VIN inspections can be done by a Colorado licensed dealer, a Colorado licensed emission station or a Colorado law enforcement officer. Due to COVID-19 the Aspen Police Department is conducting inspections by appointment only. Contact them at 970-920-5400 to make an appointment. They are scheduling appointments Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.
- Proof of insurance
- Proof of insurance is required to register your vehicle in Colorado
- An out-of-state policy is acceptable
- For additional information go to the insurance resource
- If you purchased a vehicle Out-of-State and have never titled it in your name please see Buying a Vehicle, additional documents may be required.