January 19, 2022
For Immediate Release
Media Contacts: Cindy Houben, Community Development Director, Cindy.Houben@PitkinCounty.com, 970-319-0220; John Ely, County Attorney, John.Ely@PitkinCounty.com, 970-920-5190; Laura Armstrong, Communications Director, Laura.Armstrong@PitkinCounty.com, 970-309-7191
Proposed Adoption of Pitkin County Short Term Rental Ordinance
January 26th meeting will be held virtually
Pitkin County, CO- On Wednesday, January 26th the Pitkin County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) is hearing the second reading and proposed adoption of a short term rental (STR) licensing and regulation ordinance. This meeting will be held virtually for the health and safety of those attending.
As currently proposed, the STR licensing and regulation ordinance includes provisions to:
- Require a license for the rental of properties for periods of less than 30 days
- Provide penalties for engaging in rental activity of less than 30 days without a license
- Establish a system where issued licenses would be valid for one year
- Provide for the collection of applicable sales tax
- Require that rented properties not create a disturbance in their neighborhoods
- Require rented properties to be maintained so as to minimize the chance of injury to surrounding properties, renters, and their guests
- Prohibit the licensing of properties in the rural and remote zone district
- Prohibit the licensing of properties that are not the principal residence of the owner
The regulation as proposed will not apply to rental activity 30 days or longer, or to hotels, motels, lodges, guest ranches, resort cabins, country inns or bed and breakfasts.The tentative effective date of the proposed ordinance is April 30, 2022. The public is encouraged to visit pitkincounty.com/str to learn more about the proposed ordinance, read related documents, and watch previous BOCC meetings and work sessions on STRs.
Community members who wish to offer public comment on the proposed STR ordinance can do so in a variety of ways:
- Visit PitkinCounty.com/publiccomment to share comments with the BOCC and Pitkin County staff at any time in advance of the meeting on January 26, 2022.
- Virtually attend the January 26, 2022 meeting and share comments during the meeting. To participate, follow the zoom link or call the phone number on top of the meeting's agenda, which can be found here. Please keep in mind that commenters are limited to 3 minutes each. There is no in-person option as this meeting will be held entirely virtually for the health and safety of those attending. Instructions and troubleshooting for virtual attendance can be found here.
- Mail written comments to Board of County Commissioners, 530 E. Main St. Suite 302, Aspen, CO 81611.
The final proposed regulation and an agenda item summary for proposed ordinance adoption on January 26th will be posted to https://pitkincounty.com/1001/Events-Agendas on Friday, January 21, 2022. The January 26th BOCC meeting will begin at 12:00PM and the STR ordinance’s position in the agenda will also be published on Friday, January 21, 2022.